Remote Deposit Capture
DMCU’s new Remote Deposit Capture (RDC) feature allows our Mobile App users to deposit checks directly from their mobile phones. The videos below explain how to get registered for the RDC feature and how to deposit a check once you have been approved for RDC.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Remote Deposit Capture (RDC)?
RDC is a free service to deposit checks to your Online Banking account(s) electronically using the camera on your smartphone or tablet to transmit the images through DMCU’s Mobile Banking App.
Will RDC benefit me?
Yes! RDC allows you to save time, money, and gas by safely depositing checks to your account, anytime, anywhere with your smart phone or tablet.
Is there a cost to use RDC?
No. However, usage rates from your mobile carrier may apply when using Mobile Banking or RDC.
Is RDC safe and secure?
Yes; the data is encrypted using state-of-the-art image processing and optical character recognition. The phone cache is cleared after every session so the check images are not stored on your device.
Do I need to endorse a check submitted using RDC?
Yes. An endorsement is required. Checks must be properly endorsed by all payees. In addition to the signature endorsement, please also add one of the following restrictive endorsements:
- For mobile deposit only at Diversified Members Credit Union
- For mobile deposit only at DMCU
- For e-deposit only at DMCU
- All payees must be on the account.
What should I do with my check after using RDC?
Retain your check for 180 days after it has cleared your account. After 180 days, it is a best practice to shred the check. DO NOT mail the check to DMCU. (We suggest after depositing a check, put a note on the front corner of the check with the date and RDC, to prevent accidentally trying to deposit the check more than once.)
How do I access RDC?
Access RDC within DMCU’s Mobile App by tapping the “Move Money” icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
How do I know if I qualify for RDC?
The eligibility requirements for Remote Deposit Capture are as follows:
- Account opened for 90 days
- Minimum direct deposit of $500.00 per month
- Positive credit history with the qualifying credit score
- Qualifying banking history
- All account owners must meet banking history and credit score requirements
What if I don’t see RDC within my menu options in Mobile Banking?
Verify that you have downloaded the latest version of DMCU’s Mobile App and request access by opening RDC through the “Move Money” icon.
Can I use RDC to deposit funds to any Online Banking account?
No. You can only deposit checks to your eligible account(s) of which you are an account holder.
Can Business Checking accounts use RDC?
Yes, RDC is available for use by Business Members
What if I haven’t used Mobile Banking?
Download the app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play (Android). Search for Diversified Members Credit Union. (Purple and Green Icon)
What if I’m not able to log in to Mobile Banking?
Use your Online Banking credentials. If you have not enrolled in Online Banking, go to DMCU.com or call (313) 568-5000 to enroll.
Is there a limit on how much I can deposit?
Consumers can deposit up to $2,000 per day, with a $1,000 limit per item, and only 5 items per day. In addition, you are limited to $10,000 in deposits through RDC within a rolling 30-day period. Businesses can deposit up to $5,000 per day, with a $3,000 limit per item, and only 10 items per day. They are limited to $25,000 in deposits within a rolling 30-day period.
Can I deposit more than one check at a time?
No, only one check can be deposited at a time. Repeat steps for each check.
Can I deposit more than one check per day?
Yes, Consumers can deposit up to 5 items per day, provided that they do not amount to more than $2,000 in total. Businesses can deposit up to 10 items per day, if they do not amount to more that $5,000 in total.
Do I need to include a deposit slip with my check?
Will my check be available immediately for use?
No. Deposited funds will be credited to your account with a 2 business-day hold, unless the deposit requires further review by DMCU, which may delay the funds availability.
What is the daily time cutoff for RDC checks?
Checks deposited by 4:00 p.m. (EST) are generally deposited that same business day. If your checking is deposited after 4:00 p.m. (EST), it will be deposited at 8:00 a.m. the following business day. All funds will be held for 2 business days.
How do I verify that a check has been accepted?
After submitting the deposit, the screen will note that the deposit was successful. You will also see the deposit in your account history if it is successful. All RDC deposits will include a physical review and deposits may be adjusted or rejected based on the information received being invalid. All deposits must meet our deposit criteria.
What do I do if I get an error message with making a deposit?
Review the message for failed reasons and make adjustment accordingly. Some checks may not be eligible for imaging.
How do I take a picture of the check?
- Ensure bright, but indirect sunlight to avoid shadows
- Hold camera directly over check
- Use the borders to properly zoom and scale, to ensure the entire check fits within the space
- The picture should only include the image of the check. (Make sure other checks, books, keys, change or shiny items are NOT in the picture as they can interfere with the transmission. Reflections, glare and images with numbers and letters can also cause problems with image verification and may cause the check to not be accepted)
- Ensure the check is flat
- Place check on non-shiny surface.
- For the back of the image, endorsement should be on the right side of the image
What do I do if I get an image error message?
Retake the picture as directed.
If I entered an incorrect amount for a deposited check, should I re-deposit the check?
No. The check can only be deposited into RDC once. If you’ve entered the check amount incorrectly, it will most likely be in a pending status awaiting further review. In many cases a DMCU Representative will review the deposit, correct the amount, and adjust your account, allowing the check to process. However, if you do not see that the deposit posted, please contact DMCU at (313)568-5000.
What types of checks are NOT accepted through RDC?
The following types of checks/instruments can NOT be deposited using RDC:
- US Treasury or any state government checks
- A check payable to anyone other than the owner of that account
- Third-party checks
- Checks payable to an authorized signer for a business account, even if you are the business owner
- Checks payable to more than one party unless deposited into an account in the name of all payees
- Foreign checks or checks payable in foreign currencies
- Checks dated more than six (6) months prior to the date of deposit
- Post-dated checks
- Checks previously converted to a substitute check as defined by Regulation CC
- Any check previously deposited with ANY financial institution
- Checks drawn on your personal account with the credit union
- Checks stamped “non-negotiable”
- Incomplete or altered checks
- Savings Bonds
- Any item with a qualified or conditional endorsement
How long can I view my transaction history?
Transactions can be viewed for 30 days within RDC itself, and all approved checks will also appear as transactions within home banking for 180 days.
If I use both Online Banking and Mobile Banking, will I see my transaction history reflected in both places?
What devices are compatible with RDC?
Both iPhone and Android devices are supported.
What should I do if I need more information about RDC or the DMCU Mobile App?
Feel free to call one of our friendly Member Service Representatives at 313.568.5000 for further assistance.